Tuesday, December 27, 2005

A New Years Miracle

In my entire life I have only made the mistake of trying to go to Times Square for New Years once. If you never have, don't. It's cold. It's crowded and if you have to go to the bathroom you can't come back. And guess what hot shot, they have it on TV, just watch the damn thing on TV.

But I made the mistake and I went one year. The plan: Find a bar. Drink at said bar. At 11:30 go to Times Square. See the ball drop. How did it turn out? Two words, "Yeah, right!"

First of all, you can't get into bars in NYC without paying a cover. No problem, you say. Just pay the 15 bucks. But it ain't no 15 bucks. It's like 75 or 100. Yeah, you get open bar, but I don't drink that much. I'm not having 20 drinks so I am not paying your obscene cover. How dare you try to pull that crap on me.

So, no bar. Therefore, no drinks. So it's New Years Eve. We're stone cold sober. It's 15 degrees out and we are wandering the streets with no destination. At around 11:15 we decide it's time to head to Times Square. Turns out, you have to commit a little bit sooner. 8 hours sooner. We couldn't even see the ball from where we were. Or see a clock.

But I have to admit that the people that were surrounding us were very nice and everyone was drunk and happy. It was nice.

By this point I am sure you are thinking, this thing is called New Years miracle. So where is the damn miracle. Here it comes.

The ball drops (theoretically) and we all cheer. In the excitement someone knocks off my glasses (at the time I had glasses). I had just paid 300 bucks for those suckers. I instantly freaked. I'm in a crowd of like, what, a million people and I just dropped a see through object onto a floor covered in glitter. There was no way I was finding those things.

With the power that previously had only been seen when a car falls on a baby and a mother needs to lift it, I pushed the entire crowd back so no one would step on them. And within a matter of seconds a friend reached down and grabbed them. (I didn't even try, I was holding back a million people).

It's not a big miracle. But to me it was like Jesus reached out and said, here are your glasses back, you little scamp. Be more careful next time.

No comments: