Thursday, September 21, 2006

The Last Baseball Post For A While!

I played little league for three years. In those three years we won the "world series" of our little crappy league all three years. The second year, we only lost one game. That last year we won every single game.

During that entire time I never contributed to one out. Not one! I mean, really what are the odds of that? 3 seasons. 15 games per season. 9 innings per game. 3 outs per inning. For those keeping score at home, that's 1215 outs. I never helped with one of those outs. It would seem like I would have had to have gone out of my way to accomplish that task, but to me it just comes natural.

However, I did score the winning run in the "world series" the second year. Here's the story. It's the bottom of the 8th. The score is tied. 1 out. I'm up to bat. Before the I got up to bat the coach pulled me aside and said "Take two strikes before your swing". For those that don't know, that means, "you can't hit to save your life, so hope for a walk". You know what, it worked. I walked on 4 straight balls. Next up, the best kid on our team. He crushes the first pitch. It's high. It's far. It's caught by the outfielder. I tag up. The outfielder throws to first instead of second. I round second, head to third. The first baseman over throws third. I break for home. The third baseman over throws home. I score. We hold on for the win. I get covered in beer even though I am 10 years old.

No comments: