Sunday, October 30, 2005

Scary Story

So with it being about an hour until Halloween I thought it only appropriate to share a scary story with y'all. Well, it probably will not scare you. But it scared the hell out of me at the time. So here is what happened.

It was a freshman in high school. I was hanging out with my friend Ian and we were headed to my place to play ping pong. We played a lot of ping pong at that time. I am very good at it. So is he. Seriously, don't ever challenge either of us, we will kick your ass (read: we were very unpopular in high school). So it was pretty late at this point. We had been at his place. I would estimate that it was around midnight (although it may have been 10, I will go with midnight for effect).

Anyway, we were going to my house. We were busy talking about whatever lame bullshit that we talked about back then. We had just turned the corner to my block when we saw it...

Before I explain what it was let me tell you the story of the house on the corner of my block. No one really knew anything about the people that lived there. The one thing that we did know was that they never answered the door and they never kept up the yard. The grass was weedy and overgrown. I had heard various stories. One person said the person that lived there was in a wheelchair and was angry about it. Others said it was an elderly man who was stuck in his bed. No one really knew for sure. But that had a lot to do with the fact that we never saw anyone who lived in the house. That was until that night.

So back to the story. We turned the corner and looked the house. It was normally very dark. But not tonight. Tonight (remember it's midnight, probably) the whole yard was very lit up. In the driveway was a woman. I would say she was about 70. She was in a long white pajama thing. It blew in the wind. It was incredibly weird to see her out there. But what she was doing was even weirder. She was........she was.........trimming the hedges. With an electric hedge trimmer. Why? I don't know. She had never left the house before and suddenly she was concerned about hedge maintenance at midnight in her pajamas.

Naturally we assumed that we should run. And we did. Actually Ian was on his bike. But true to his solid moral character, he didn't ride any faster than I could run. And run I did, all the way to my apartment. We were both humored and afraid. So much so that Ian slept over that night so he would not have to go past her. She went on to adopt the name the Chainsaw lady. Because it was both more intimidating and more easier to say then electric hedge clipper lady. I still get a little freaked out when I look at the house.

No comments: